Monday, September 7, 2009

Hiding from a Gale

12 degrees centigrade this morning inside the boat cabin. Coldest morning yet since I am back on the water.
Boats who, like Millennium Dragon, sat out three days of gales raging just beyond the protective hills around Montague Bay, are slipping their moorings and weighing anchor to sail or motor away before the weather worsens again. A lot of them have to cross Southern Georgia Strait, which took the brunt of the past gale, and get across to Point Roberts, after timing either Porlier or Active Pass for slack current.
Nothing had moved out during our series of deluges, showers, thunderstorms (rare around here) and pretty hefty winds, which still whipped through the harbour at almost gale force strength, despite all that shoreline shelter. Now, tranquility is returning at least so far as number of boats is concerned...long weekend almost over, school starts again, work calls.
I have rowed ashore all of the inclement days, except for one, where the idea of sitting in an open dinghy in miserable conditions did not particularly appeal to me.
My row 'home' from shore yesterday, although only spannning maybe a hundred yards, took quite a long time. Choppy waves, pretty gusty wind against me, rain again starting halfway through the row, pulling the oars with all my might (if one could call it that) I finally got aside Millennium and clambered aboard - carefully - I did not want to risk to slip into the water right then, if ever.
The cabin and enclosed cockpit were quite cosy throughout the 'galey' spell, thanks to my trusty little diesel heater/fireplace and the occasional sunny break warming everything up to a comfortable level.
I'll spend today here, and, weather permitting I sail to Pirate's Cove tomorrow for another stint of Park Host duty.
The barometer is rising dramatically - better things in the cards?